OpenCV provides many drawing functions to draw geometric shapes and write text on images. Let’s see some of the drawing functions and draw geometric shapes on images using OpenCV.
Some of the drawing functions are :
cv2.line() : Used to draw line on an image.
cv2.rectangle() : Used to draw rectangle on an image.
cv2.circle() : Used to draw circle on an image.
cv2.putText() : Used to write text on image.
To demonstrate uses of the above-mentioned functions we need an image of size 400 X 400 filled with a solid colour (black in this case). Inorder to do this, We can utilize numpy.zeroes function to create the required image.
Now, let’s draw some geometric shapes on this solid black image.
Draw a line :
cv2.line(imageObjectName, (‘start_coordinates’), (‘end_coordinates’), (‘color_in_bgr’), ‘line_thickness’)
Draw a rectangle :
cv2.rectangle(imageObjectName, (‘top_left_vertex_coordinates’), (‘lower_right_vertex_coordinates’), (‘stroke_color_in_bgr’), ‘stroke_thickness’)
Draw a Circle :
cv2.circle(imageObjectName, (‘center_coordinates’), (‘circle_radius’), (‘color_in_bgr’), ‘stroke_thickness’)
Writing text :
cv2.putText(imageObjectName, ‘TextContent’, (‘text_starting_point_coordinates’), ‘fontToBeUsed’, ‘font_size’, (‘text_color’, ‘text_thickness’, ‘line_type’)
Applications of drawing shapes on images :
- Drawing geometrical shapes can help us highlight the particular portions of an image.
- Geometrical shapes like line can help us point or identify particular regions in image.
- Writing text on certain regions of images can add description to that region.
- Draw a triangle with centroid using OpenCV
- Erosion and Dilation of images using OpenCV in python
- Addition and Blending of images using OpenCV in Python
- Python | Denoising of colored images using opencv
- Stitching input images (panorama) using OpenCV with C++
- Python | Draw rectangular shape and extract objects using OpenCV
- Arithmetic Operations on Images using OpenCV | Set-1 (Addition and Subtraction)
- Equable Shapes
- Python | Drawing different shapes on PyGame window
- Find perimeter of shapes formed with 1s in binary matrix
- Draw Sweden Flag using matlab
- Working with Images in Python
- Reading images in Python
- Check if it is possible to draw a straight line with the given direction cosines
- Python | Display images with PyGame
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.