Given coordinates of two pivot points (x0, y0) & (x1, y1) in coordinates plane. Along with each pivot, two different magnets are tied with the help of a string of length r1 and r2 respectively. Find the distance between both magnets when they repelling each other and when they are attracting each other.
Input : x1=0, y1=0, x2=5, y2=0, r1=2, r2=2
Output : Distance while repulsion = 9, Distance while attraction = 1
Input : x1=0, y1=0, x2=5, y2=0, r1=3, r2=3
Output : Distance while repulsion = 11, Distance while attraction = 0
As we all know about the properties of magnet that they repel each other when they are facing each other with the same pole and attract each other when they are facing each other with opposite pole. Also, the force of attraction, as well as repulsion, always work in a straight line.
We have two pivots points on coordinates, so distance between these points are D = ((x1-x2)2 +(y1-y2)2 )1/2.
Also, we can conclude that distance between magnet is maximum while repulsion and that too should be the distance between pivots + sum of the length of both strings.
In case of attraction we have two cases to take care of:
Either the minimum distance is the distance between pivots – the sum of the length of both strings
Or minimum distance should be zero in case if the sum of the length of strings is greater than the distance between pivot points.
Illustration with help of diagram:
Distance while repulsion = 17 Distance while attraction = 0
- Program to find the minimum (or maximum) element of an array
- Puzzle | Minimum distance for Lizard
- Minimum distance to travel to cover all intervals
- Find points at a given distance on a line of given slope
- Haversine formula to find distance between two points on a sphere
- Find the distance covered to collect items at equal distances
- Find the first, second and third minimum elements in an array
- Find maximum element of each column in a matrix
- Program to find the maximum element in a Matrix
- Find maximum volume of a cuboid from the given perimeter and area
- Find minimum radius such that atleast k point lie inside the circle
- Program to find minimum number of lectures to attend to maintain 75%
- Distance between a point and a Plane in 3 D
- Distance between two parallel Planes in 3-D
- Program to calculate distance between two points