Problem – Find the vertex, focus and directrix of a parabola when the coefficients of its equation are given.
A set of points on a plain surface that forms a curve such that any point on that curve is equidistant from the focus is a parabola.
Vertex of a parabola is the coordinate from which it takes the sharpest turn whereas a is the straight line used to generate the curve.
The standard form of a parabola equation is . Given the values of a, b and c; our task is to find the coordinates of vertex, focus and the equation of the directrix.
Input : 5 3 2 Output : Vertex:(-0.3, 1.55) Focus: (-0.3, 1.6) Directrix: y=-198 Consult the formula below for explanation.
This problem is a simple example of implementations of formulae. Given below are the required set of formulae which will help us tackle the problem.
For a parabola in the form Vertex: Focus: Directrix:
Vertex:(-0.3, 1.55) Focus: (-0.3, 1.6) Directrix: y=-198
- Equation of parabola from its focus and directrix
- Equation of ellipse from its focus, directrix, and eccentricity
- Check if a point is inside, outside or on the parabola
- Make a tree with n vertices , d diameter and at most vertex degree k
- Find the cordinates of the fourth vertex of a rectangle with given 3 vertices
- Finding n-th term of series 3, 13, 42, 108, 235…
- Finding all subsets of a given set in Java
- Stein's Algorithm for finding GCD
- Finding LCM of more than two (or array) numbers without using GCD
- Finding nth term of any Polynomial Sequence
- Finding 'k' such that its modulus with each array element is same
- Finding the best fit rectangle that covers a given point
- Finding power of prime number p in n!
- Finding Quadrant of a Coordinate with respect to a Circle
- Tomohiko Sakamoto's Algorithm- Finding the day of the week
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.